Since September, dozens of Pakistani and Afghan men have entered the U.S. illegally from Tijuana to San Diego. Border Patrol agents described these men as “military age and carrying U.S. cash” with two of the men found to have ties to terrorist groups.
Between October 1 and mid-November of 2015, 2 Afghans and 22 Pakistanis reportedly surrendered to Border Patrol agents. The numbers of these illegal Pakistani and Afghan men entering the U.S. through a Tijuana-based human-smuggling pipeline are a dramatic rise over the previous year.
“We have detained more Pakistanis and Afghans in the first month of this fiscal year than we did all last year,” assistant chief Richard Smith confirmed in November.
“It’s very concerning,” Shigg said. “We have no idea what their actual intentions are because we have no effective way of backtracking. Just the males are coming and there’s no way for us to know for certain who they are and why.”
Muhammad Azeem and Muktar Ahmad, both in their 20s, surrendered to U.S. Border Patrol agents in September, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. One was listed on the Terrorist Screening Database for “associations with a known or suspected terrorist. The other was a positive match for derogatory information in an alternative database,” according to Hunter’s letter.
“It’s very concerning,” National Border Patrol Council president Terence Shigg said. “We have no idea what their actual intentions are because we have no effective way of backtracking. Just the males are coming and there’s no way for us to know for certain who they are and why.”
Shigg also feels like it is time federal officials start discussing this issue more openly and, more importantly, commit more resources to keep these illegals from certain countries in custody until they can be completely vetted.
“It’s not as if they don’t have the systems to sort, but they have to dedicate the resources and detention space to sorting this out,” he said. “These are credible threats.”
Comments will be approved before showing up.